Kaituna Sawmill has been celebrated for its contribution to environmental action at the Cawthron Marlborough Environment Awards held on Friday 23 April 2021.
Kaituna Sawmill has completed a suite of environmental improvements including a 46% reduction in the site’s greenhouse gas emissions and a reduction in the sawmill’s carbon footprint by 934 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent per year.
The Cawthron Marlborough Environment Awards are held every two years to showcase businesses and community projects that protect and enhance the environment.
The Awards are supported by the Marlborough District Council, Cawthron Institute, Department of Conservation and local sponsors.
Congratulations to OneFortyOne Kaituna Sawmill, winning the Forestry Award and all winners and nominees.
The winners of the 2021 Cawthron Marlborough Environment Awards, announced at the Marlborough Events Centre on Friday April 23, were:
- Supreme and Landscape and Habitat Enhancement: Marlborough Sounds Restoration Trust – Community action on wilding pine control.
- Business Innovation: Pinoli Premium Pine Nuts – Creating a business adapted to climate change.
- Wine Industry: Lawson’s Dry Hills – Continuous improvement to reduce environmental impact
- Marine: Marine Farming Association – Restoring Pelorus Sound mussel beds.
- Community Innovation: Marlborough Community Gardens – Growing food and connecting people.
- Forestry: OneFortyOne Kaituna Sawmill – Cutting back their carbon footprint.
- Farming: Mount Oliver – Transformation of a Marlborough Sounds dairy farm The Awards encourage businesses and community groups to share their experience in looking after the environment.